Reading Homework Tips
1) Read every day. You may be assigned to read a reading fluency passage or a book that has been sent home.
2) After you read, talk to an adult about three things that happened in the story or three things that you learned. Make sure to tell these things in the correct order as they occurred in the passage.
3) Practice using your strategies as you read. Here are the strategies we are working on...
* "I predict..." - making predictions about what might happen next in a passage you have not read before
* "I wonder..." - asking questions about things that are happening in the passage
* "That reminds me of..." - making connections between what you are reading and something that has happened to you before (text-to-self connections) or something that you have read before (text-to-text connections)
* "I visualize..." - making a movie in your head that matches what you are reading in the passage
4) Listen to an adult read. When you hear experienced readers, you learn about how reading works as well as new vocabulary.
5) Remember the top ten ways to become a better reader...Read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, READ!